Vikings Talks With Former Pro Bowl QB Hit Snag

   

The Minnesota Vikings are moving forward with J.J. McCarthy but must consider a capable veteran backup for a team that is ready to win now.

Over the weekend, Fox Sports insider Jordan Schultz reported that the Vikings have discussed potentially signing former Tennessee Titans Pro Bowl quarterback Ryan Tannehill.

Tannehill would be a suitable backup, but after he sat out the 2024 season, there doesn't appear to be an urgency for the Vikings to get a deal done.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport offered insight into the internal talks ongoing in Minnesota about acquiring Tannehill.

"The Tannehill conversations, which I didn't get the sense were much convert. Like, it's not like conversations being like, 'Alright, we'll offer you $20 million. And he's like, I want [$25 million].' Like, that's not the conversation," Rapoport said Monday, March 24, on "The Pat McAfee Show."

"If there was any conversation, it was more like, 'Alright, might you theoretically be available if we need you?' Ryan Tannehill sat out all last year. I think would probably come back for the opportunity to start for an awesome team and maybe make some decent bridge quarterback money," Rapoport added. "I don't get the sense anything's imminent. And I think they hope that they don't need him because the hope is: your future's now roll with JJ McCarthy, who's really talented and just move forward from there."

McCarthy was officially greenlit to move forward as the Vikings' QB1 entering spring workouts after the Vikings' shelved their talks about adding Aaron Rodgers last week.

How serious of a consideration Rodgers was remains a point of debate, but Minnesota has tipped its hat to the 22-year-old McCarthy.

Whether Tannehill would be willing to come in and be a mentor is also up for debate. At 36 years old, Tannehill is past his Pro Bowl prime that was the 2019 season where he took the Titans to the AFC Championship. However, he is still a capable quarterback who could be employed in the NFL.

His absence from any roster last season seemed to be a sign that he is choosy with his future and may want a path to playing time.

"Maybe a guy goes down and a team gives me a call, you never know what's going to happen, right?" Tannehill said in July 2024. "So, just keeping the options open. But at the same time, not waiting on pins and needles for that call. I'm enjoying where I'm at… where my family, life is. You know, if something comes up, then fantastic. I'll jump wholeheartedly into it. But at the same time, not purely just waiting on that."