The Boston Red Sox’s offseason work paid dividends when Alex Bregman was contemplating his options from afar.
Before Bregman and the Red Sox agreed to a three-year, $120 million contract last week, the 30-year-old met with the club. Boston chief baseball officer Craig Breslow laid out the team’s offseason intentions to Bregman and agent Scott Boras, and the team stuck with its blueprint. The Red Sox upgraded their pitching staff immensely, making the destination even more attractive once it became time for Bregman to make a decision.
MORE RED SOX
It was a no-brainer for the two-time World Series champion at that point.
“It just showed that they weren’t talking the talk in California when we met,” Bregman said on NESN’s “310 To Left” podcast. “It was walking the walk, and they were going out to make this team better. Obviously, in talking with (Breslow), their main objective at the beginning of the offseason was to attack the pitching. It took a while during the offseason, I know, but I was laughing with A.C. earlier saying, ‘Hey, I was early to spring training. It didn’t take that long.'”
Bregman’s arrival, while a long-awaited one, came just in time for all parties involved. The Red Sox landed their offseason’s finishing touch, eager to join a roster filled with improvements, veteran experience and a common goal: contending in 2025.
Story continues below advertisement
Boston began by addressing its bullpen. The Red Sox signed longtime flamethrower Aroldis Chapman, giving the roster a big-name closer candidate. Boston’s efforts continued as Breslow and the front office turned their attention to the rotation and acquired starter Garrett Crochet from the Chicago White Sox in exchange for four prospects, including catcher Kyle Teel. The Red Sox also signed fellow starting pitchers Walker Buehler and Patrick Sandoval to enhance depth.
The pitching improvements also allowed Garrett Whitlock, fresh off a season-ending shoulder injury, to return to the bullpen where he flourished during his first two years with the Red Sox. So while that’s not a market addition, Whitlock’s role shift also improves the team’s depth and it was only possible through the offseason labor led by Breslow.
Still, that wasn’t the only factor that should’ve swayed Bregman to join Boston.
Bregman’s track record at Fenway Park isn’t only impressive, it challenges baseball’s all-time greats. He’s slashed .375/.490/.750 with seven home runs, nine doubles and 15 RBIs in 21 career regular-season games at Fenway. Bregman’s 1.240 OPS is the highest ever among players with at least 75 plate appearances at Boston’s home turf, putting Bregman ahead of Hall of Famer Frank Robinson (1.118)
“It’s gonna be awesome,” Bregman said. “Just from talking with all the guys, they rave about playing at Fenway, in front of great fans and I’m looking forward to it. I’m looking forward to the challenge and I can’t wait. It’s gonna be a tough division — it is every single year — and we gotta focus on where our feet are and focus on spring training first. But when we get there, there’s gonna be an energy, I feel like, that is different.”
Bregman collided with the Red Sox three times in the playoffs throughout his nine-year run with the Houston Astros, giving the two-time All-Star a taste of what Boston’s faithful is like in October when the stakes are raised. He’s already hoisted the Commissioner’s Trophy twice in Houston and will aim to guide the Red Sox back toward their next.
Boston will face the Northeastern Huskies Friday at 1:05 p.m. ET from Fort Myers, Fla., to get the spring training exhibition underway.